Académie nationale des sciences de la république d’Azerbaïdjan
Invité du labex TransferS - Janvier 2016
Durant le mois de janvier 2016, le labex TransferS accueille Shahin MUSTAFAYEV, directeur adjoint de l’institut d’études orientales de l’Académie nationale des sciences de la république d’Azerbaïdjan.
Transferts culturels dans le Caucase et en Asie Centrale
Mercredi 6 janvier - de 14h à 16h - ENS, Salle Weil, 45 rue d’Ulm, Paris 5e
- Milestones of Cultural Transformation in the Muslim Society in South Caucasus in the Colonial Period (19th-Early 20th Century)
- South Caucasus became the part of the Russian Empire in early 19th century. The Russian colonization had a most dramatic effect on the Muslim community in the region, which first time ended up under the rule of non-Muslim state. The sources of this period allow us to trace the dynamics of the Muslim community perceptions of its position in the new milieu – from shock to the desire to adapt to the changing political, social and cultural landscape, and finally to awareness of their own place and rights within the imperial structure. All these changes have taken place in contradiction with the Muslim cultural background and normal transformation process, as the Empire came to symbolize for them not only the supreme political power, but also a new way of life and new values. The presentation will focus on the main stages of cultural transformation of the Muslim community in the South Caucasus within the Russian Empire.
Mercredi 20 janvier - de 14h à 16h - ENS, Salle Weil, 45 rue d’Ulm, Paris 5e
- Tradition and Modernity in the Mirror of the Cartoons of Azerbaijani Satirical Magazine Molla Nasreddin
- The emergence of new forms and genres of Azerbaijani culture and literature of the early 20th century was the result of long and profound changes in the social life of Muslims of South Caucasus, which took place under the influence of Russian colonial regime and the penetration of Western ideas and values into the traditional life of Azerbaijan. One of the most striking manifestations of the social and cultural transformations was the emergence of an entirely new genre – caricatures or cartoons. The colorfully illustrated satirical magazine “Molla Nasreddin”, which has started published in the Caucasus in Azerbaijani language since 1906 has become pioneer of this new trend. According to the young and the secular Muslim intellectuals the denunciatory power of its cartoons should have been aimed against obstacles to “the progress” of the Muslim population, namely, the domination of clericalism, illiteracy, lack of education, as well as colonial rule. Examples of these cartoons are going to be presented as justification of critical thinking of Azerbaijani intellectuals in early 20th century.
Vendredi 22 janvier - de 9h30 à 12h30 - ENS, Salle Weil, 45 rue d’Ulm, Paris 5e
- Intervention dans le cadre du séminaire « Transferts culturels » (UMR Pays germaniques) : L’Asie centrale comme creuset transculturel